Free Consultations |
Zoom Meetings Available


No Fee Unless We Collect Compensation For You

How To File a Personal Injury Claim as a Car Accident Victim in Illinois

 Posted on January 12, 2022 in Car Accident

shutterstock_1863040405.jpgAs the victim of a car accident, you may be wondering where to turn for help and what your options are. The two most important steps to take after being in a car accident are to seek medical attention for any injuries you sustained and contact a personal injury lawyer after gathering the contact information of the other people involved in the incident. 

Once you reach out to a personal injury lawyer, the attorney you retain will start the claims process on your behalf. But what is a claim? And what does the process of filing a claim after being involved in a car accident really look like? We are going to explore the claims process today in order to shed light on what you can expect as the victim in a car accident.  

The Most Common Claims Filed by Car Accident Victims 

For starters, a personal injury claim is a legal declaration stating that you, the victim, are owed compensation for injuries you sustained and damage caused to your property as the result of a personal injury incident. When you hire legal counsel to represent you, your attorney will file a personal injury claim on your behalf. 

The Insurance Claim Process and Statute of Limitations for Car Accident Lawsuits 

The type of claim you file will depend on a few important details. The claims process will start with you and your lawyer discussing the incident. Victims usually file car accident claims with the other party's insurance company. If the injured person was a victim of a hit-and-run accident or the at-fault driver does not have insurance, it may be possible for the victim to file an insurance claim through own insurer. Sometimes, the liable party is a manufacturing company, trucking company, or even a government entity. 

In Illinois, the statute of limitations for car accidents is two years, any personal injury lawsuit must be filed within two years of the date of the car accident. 

Contact a Rolling Meadows Personal Injury Lawyer Today 

If you are the victim of a car accident, you may be eligible to receive compensation for the emotional distress, physical injuries, and overall damages that you experienced as a result of the incident. To learn more about your legal rights and explore the possibility of compensation, be sure to contact Adler Law Offices, LTD by calling 312-236-2700 today to schedule your free consultation with a Chicago personal injury lawyer



Share this post:
Back to Top