Free Consultations |
Zoom Meetings Available


No Fee Unless We Collect Compensation For You

Arlington Heights Property Damage Attorney

Chicago vehicle property damage attorney

Lawyer Helping Clients Recover Compensation for Damaged Property in Car Crashes Throughout Cook County

If you have been injured in a car accident, your primary concern is likely recovering compensation for your medical bills and other losses associated with your injuries. However, chances are that you have also experienced significant damage to your vehicle and other personal property in the crash. Compensation for property damage is typically available through car insurance, but this comes with its own set of complications, and seeking assistance from an experienced attorney can be beneficial.

Through over 40 years of legal practice, Attorney Charles Adler has represented clients through a wide range of complications related to car accident cases. He can provide knowledgeable advice for handling your property damage claim while he represents you in your personal injury case, helping you to fully resolve all issues related to your accident and working to ensure that you have the financial resources you need to recover.

Costs Related to Property Damage in a Car Accident

When your vehicle is damaged in a car crash, the largest expense is likely to be the cost of the parts and labor necessary to repair the car and return it to its previous condition. However, it is also important to consider other related expenses such as:

  • The cost of towing the car away from the scene of the crash
  • The cost of storing the car until it is repaired
  • The cost of a rental car while you are unable to drive your damaged vehicle
  • The cost of replacing other valuable personal property that was in your car at the time of the accident

When filing an insurance claim, it is important to document all of these expenses and understand what the insurance policy covers in each of these areas.

Who Pays for Property Damage?

Most Illinois car insurance policies require that you submit a report of an accident to your provider as soon as possible. Property damage claims are usually settled fairly quickly compared to personal injury claims, and depending on the circumstances, either your own insurance provider or the provider of another driver involved in the accident will cover the costs. If your own provider pays, you may owe a deductible before the provider covers the remainder of the costs up to your policy limit. If another driver's provider pays, your deductible will not apply.

In some cases, your provider may cover your property damage upfront and then file a claim in your name against the other driver's insurance policy for reimbursement. This process is known as subrogation, and a successful claim can mean that you are also reimbursed for a deductible you have paid. Your attorney can help you ensure that a subrogation settlement for property damage does not preclude you from recovering further compensation from the at-fault party for your personal injury claim, and vice versa.

What if My Car Is Totaled?

In Illinois, a car is considered totaled if its actual cash value minus its salvage value is less than the cost of repairing the damages to the vehicle. An insurance provider will typically determine the payout for a totaled vehicle using comparisons to similar cars in the market to gauge the vehicle's value. We can help you do your own market research to ensure that the insurance provider is offering fair value based on your vehicle's condition before the accident and the market in which you are located. We will also advise you to ensure that you remove your license plates, parking permits, and personal items from the vehicle, and we can help you to understand what to expect if you have an outstanding loan balance on the car when it is totaled.

Contact a Rolling Meadows Car Accident Attorney

If you have any questions about how to proceed after a car accident in which you suffered injuries and property damage, we can help you avoid mistakes and start taking steps toward the best possible outcome. Contact us for a free consultation at either 847-394-0100 or 312-236-2700. We serve clients in Arlington Heights, Chicago, and throughout Cook County, including Palatine, Mount Prospect, Rolling Meadows, Glenview, Wheeling, Skokie, and the surrounding areas.

Back to Top